Chair Transformation DIY
Hooray! Summer is here! Personally, summer is a time when I’m really gung-ho to tackle a lot of projects. Perhaps it’s because I’ve been awoken from a sluggish hibernation, perhaps it’s the expansion of workspace, or maybe it’s that extra injection of Vitamin D. Whatever it is, I’m eager to create and transform. In searching for some fun, new projects, I came across the inspiring blog Simply Beautiful Now. With an eye for the quirky and a need for more seating, I was drawn to Carol’s DIY chair transformation. Now it’s off to the thrift store with me!
Submitted by: Carol
Restoring Beauty: Chair Transformation-Revealed!
Primer: Used left-over can, but would cost about $12 for the can
Wood filler: $6
Black spray paint: Used left-over from my table project, but would cost $5 per can.
Gold spray paint: Used left-over from mail sorter project, but would cost $5 per can.
Chair pad filler:
Total: approx. $45
Total Time Required: a day, allowing for paint-drying time.
Materials and Tools Required:
– paint brush
– wood filler
– putty knife
– spray paint
When I first saw this chair, I really saw the potential. Although it was stuck in the corner, with odd red fabric, mis-matched styles of wood carving, and scuffs all over the chair, there was something that spoke to me about this chair (maybe the $6 price tag spoke louder than the other, more traditional chairs I saw).
With so many inspirational choices, I originally went with this Baker chair as inspiration for my thrift store find.
But after painting the chair black, it looked too stark…
So I changed my mind and combined the gold touches for the back of the chair with the white chairs from Belle Maison, below:
Here’s how I transformed this chair…
over from a previous project…that $10 can
goes a long way!!!)
Filled the wood with Lepage wood filler. (yes, I should have done this before the sanding, but last minute decided to fill in the decorative “carving” on the front of the seat, as it seemed too “country” for what I was going to do.) So I re-sanded and primed again.
Painted the chair white, and the “8” of the chair back the “Champagne Nouveau” colour I used for the mail sorter (I thought, if it didn’t work, I can always re-paint over it in white).
Using this fabric I found during the Value Village 50% sale (it cost a whopping $3 for 2 yards—I only used one!), I replaced the chair pad, and stapled the fabric.
Here’s the after.
Carol is a self-professed documentarian who left the crazy business world to enter the wild world of motherhood. She shares stories, ideas and inspiration on her blog Simply Beautiful Now.
I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.